Tube Amplifiers
Leslie P asked:

Just curious and want to understand more about tube amplifiers.


1 Comment so far

  1. jonnis51 on November 21, 2009 10:11 pm

    Clipping is when an amplifier is pushed to it’s limits and starts to distort. It gets its name from the way amps are tested. They put a sine wave signal through the amp. (A sine wave is a nice curved wave). When distortion starts, the signal is ‘clipped’ from the top and bottom of the wave, making a square wave. (A sine wave sounds pure, like a flute. A square wave sounds rough, like a sax.)
    Sagging is when the power supply drops (sags). It shouldn’t happen in a good amp.

Name (required)

Email (required)


Speak your mind