guitar situation?

February 15, 2009 | 8 Comments

Vintage Amps
xxemoboy101xx asked:

Gear: - Epiphone sg400 (guitar) - The center of the metal of the boss ml-2 (distortion pedal) - Gorilla gg-25 (amp? Re) - Excellent reverb cushion shock [litteratly vintage] (amp? Re) on * i want to get a sum 41, the tone my chemical romance and greenday. I have the center of the metal of the boss ml-2, but the distortion? but it just 'S.A. a small "metaly" muscular, I had to convince an area of the metal of the boss mt-2 to get the kind of sum 41, the tone my chemical romance and greenday, but the problem with my current tone could not be the pedal center of the metal ml-2 but could be my cheap practice amp? King


8 Comments so far

  1. Mankind on February 18, 2009 9:36 am

    Look for a used DOD grunge pedal on ebay. killer distortion. Prob can get one for 40 bones. I would also look for an amp with a 12″ speaker, or upgrade the speaker in your amp to an eminence texas heat. Good sound. Rock on

  2. cbjr on February 21, 2009 5:46 pm

    If you dont want a metal sound, dont buy another metal distortion pedal. Look for something with classic overdrive. check out for various products and reviews or for user reviews for yourperfect fit. Until you are able to up your budget, stick with pedals.

  3. gutrshredr on February 23, 2009 4:02 pm

    if you go to your local trendy “guitar center” music store they should sale a peddle called “emo grunge” a company called “emo hair” makes the pedal. its got 3 knobs, “emo distortion” “terrible tone” and a last one called “poser” the good news is it will only run you $5. because its gay. I hope that helps.

  4. Emily on February 23, 2009 6:04 pm

    Hello there,

    I would recommend getting any Marshall amp that suits your budget. They’re awesome amps, TONS of rock musicians use them.

    If you’d prefer to get a pedal, I recommend the Zoom G2 Multi-Effects Pedal. It has everything from an Acoustic Simulator, to a Grungy tone, to a Wah-Wah Pedal. It’s just awesome

    Good luck and hope that helps 🙂

  5. The Postman on February 25, 2009 8:12 pm

    Upgrade your guitar to a Strat and/or get rid of the Gorilla amp – they are rubbish.

  6. saul_sabia on February 27, 2009 10:37 pm

    You want a rock tone, not metal. The metal zone is not the right pedal for you, don’t get it. It’s only for Slayer/Pantera-ish metal. Sounds great for that stuff, but not for you.

    A lot of the punk guys play a strat with a chunk overwound humbucker in the bridge into high-gain marshall tube amps. You’ve got the chunky part, but an aftermarket pickup and a high-gain tube amp would really be what you’re looking for. Of course, you can’t do that with that kind’ve cash.

    I don’t think you’re going to get 70$ for your metal-core. I’m just saying.

    I would get a Boss DS-1 if I wuz you. It’s more of a “rock” distortion pedal instead of a “metal” distortion pedal. The Boss OD-20 is a pretty sweet pedal, it has a lot of different distortion options in one. It’s a modeling pedal, but it’s a good modeling pedal, it sounds very warm to me. Plus, it’s not that much more than a brand new distortion pedal, too.

    Or you can go to and look at their guitar amps for under 200$. There’s quite a bit of selection, but the Kustom 12A is a great amp for what it is… it’s small, but it’s tube, and sounds pretty dang good. If you want lots of effects you can try the Line 6. Honestly, if you want to buy an amp I’d try to save up at least 300-400$, and try to find a tube amp with a 12″ speaker that sounds the way you want it to. It’s been my humble experience that amp distortion sounds waaay better than pedal distortion does.

    Yeah, and don’t sell the super reverb. Some day you’ll be able to appreciate it for what it is, even though it won’t make you sound like green day, sum 41, or my gd chem romance.


  7. deadman0888 on March 2, 2009 3:26 am

    I have a Jackson that I play.The best type of amp to get by far is a Crate amp.It’s not like your other types of amps,these are tubed amps.You get a better sound out of them.As far as the pedals go,I would highly recommend getting the BOSS series.They last long,and and give really great sound to whatever style of music you are playing.You don’t want to get a practice amp!!You will never achive the sound you are looking for.You have a great guitar,so you need a great amp to go with it.Don’t sort change yourself.Do not sell the Boss,like I said,that is one of the top of the line brands to get.If you want,same some money,and get yourself a proseser.You can get one for about $350 dollars at your local Guitar Center.They have roughly around 400 different types of effects,some more depending on the type you get,really can’t give names of them,just to many to choose from.

  8. martymcfly on March 2, 2009 2:54 pm

    First, DO NOT sell the super reverb, if it is vintage it’s probably worth a ton, and they sound excellent. I would go with an overdrive pedal. Your guitar should work pretty well. If you want a real deal, get a Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde. You can get a used one for about 100 bucks (the new ones are nice too, but about 50 bucks more), and the sweet thing is they have a crazy distortion and a very, very nice overdrive, modeled after the old ibanez tubescreamers. With that, you can mix the two until you find what you’re looking for.

Name (required)

Email (required)


Speak your mind