Tube Amplifiers
thetastychippy asked:

I have a tube amp, and recently I started to enjoy the sound of distortion of pure tube power instead of using the pedals for distortion. I was just wondering if anyone knows the rock bands get the sounds we hear on CD 's? My amps sound just a bit of weedy and not the 'thickness' I hear on my CD player. Thank you.


4 Comments so far

  1. Pinhead on November 4, 2009 3:11 am

    try a recording studio!

    OK try going to a Guitar shop and trying effects until U get the effect U want!

    Most are quite helpfull!:-)

  2. chazzer on November 4, 2009 7:12 pm

    If I were you, I would try talking to the local musicians about the gear they use and how they get their sound instead of relying on the idiots on here to answer that question!! I’m sorry I can’t help otherwise. The only thing I know, like you already said, is that tube amps have a much more analog, smooth, fuzzy distortion than any pedal can assimilate. I have listened to the classic bands growing up and they actually turned their tube amps all the way up to overdrive the tubes. They didn’t use any type of technology (except wah pedals and some other new sound effects) for overdrive, distortion! So unless it is the amp you have, some even incorporate circuits to limit distortion, maybe it is the brand you are using.

  3. Mr TEL on November 8, 2009 12:29 am

    Sounds like you need a Marshall!

  4. woodencasino on November 8, 2009 1:54 pm

    Mate, ignore the idiots who think its impossible to get a good answer on here, the guy obviously just cant answer you.

    It comes down to hardware rather than software, sure there are pedals that can help but at the end of the day if your amp/guitar isnt good enough you pretty stuck! FFOF and similar bands seem to be all using PRS guitars nowadays (in my opinion the best available) and usually going through a Marshall valve amp or more fashionably a Mesa/Boogie. This is how they are getting this sound, not studio trickery (although it does help) trust me you can recreate this sound at home. Problem is, a good PRS costs about £2500 and most mesas are a mortgage!

    May i suggest you try a gibson, you dont have to fork out loads for one and they are the dogs! If you run it through a Kustom or a Marshall amp with the middle turned down (about 4) you will get exactly what you want. Oh a and a Boss Metal zone pedal wont hurt.

    If you dont want spend money though, just get your pickups wound up to humbuckers (or add some in – EMG all the way!) thats where the thickness comes from and by the sounds of things you probably have double coils which are easy to wire up….

Name (required)

Email (required)


Speak your mind